Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Chopsticks extraordinaire

So, we had our first set of conferences last week for Sofia. They went pretty well. Sofia's teacher told us that she is doing well with manners, colors, shapes, numbers, and motor skills as well. We were impressed since children can behave differently in the home vs. in public (some of you have witnessed Sofia's persuasive ways to get what she wants...). The teacher told us that she hasn't seen a child this confident in a while and that she believes that this asset is in Sofia's favor. I just had to ask what else we can do for Sofia to keep her more aware and learning constantly... the suggestions were slightly disappointing since we do all of them already: Read to her, expose her to lots of different activities, and allow her for creative thinking. She has been to professional ball games, live theatre performances, cultural events, movies, eating different ethnic foods, and the list goes on. She is so funny and is mostly willing to try something new.
For example, this past weekend we had a great time together as a family. Monday was my favorite because we went to Dynasty Buffet to eat for lunch. I have been "craving" eating with chop sticks and was thrilled to be using them. When I was in high school we had a foreign exchange student from Japan that taught us the "proper" way to eat with them and also taught me how children were taught to use them so I could teach my children someday. At the restaurant, I made the "children's version" of chopsticks for Sofia and she ate her ENTIRE meal using them!! She loved them and even tried to use them without the help of "the training wheels". Vince saw that they had chopsticks for sale at the front counter so I bought us 4 pairs to have at home.
Gotta love Sofia's pic using her chopsticks with her sweet potatoes...

I'm so proud :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sofia is one very lucky little girl to have the two of you as parents. Having a little brother soon and learning to interact with him will enrich her further, I think. With many best wishes, Miriam