My dear old grandmother just wants to help, but Sofia flinched every time she came near her because Sofia knew something was about to be inspected by what Vince calls: The Fun Police. My grandmother is just trying to keep her save and happy I guess... "don't put that in your mouth" "Eat your food" "Why don't you drink some water?" "Your hair is in your face, maybe your mom should cut your bangs". I had tolerance hearing the last one at least a million times, but Sofia... not so much. She got to the point where she would just brush her bangs back right before she would walk into a room where grandma was. Man, she's quick.
Anyhow, my grandfather on the other hand is an expert at watching TV for 15 hours of the day (minus 2 meals). I decided to take matters into my own hands and Vince was able to bid on some cool metal puzzles for him. I'm happy to report that I heard metal clicking noises for a good 3 hours total as grandpa Felipe tried to figure out how to get the two pieces apart. I told him it was good for the brain, I didn't mention that it was my master plan so he would stop watching a little TV and do some brain stimulation.
In other news, on our way to Springfield (20 minutes into our 1.22 hour drive) Sofia asked me for her chupon (pacifier in English) I was stupid (yet smart -keep reading) and told Sofia that I had accidental forgot it at home. Ok, yeah that was stupid to say while driving 65mph on the highway. She went into 2 year old panic mode and even got "crocodile tears" as Grandpa Paul likes to call them. So, to distract her and at the same time to call for backup- we called Papi in Peoria to ask him to take care of them for her (talk about good improv-I don't know what I was thinking at the time to be honest with you). She slept without her pacifier in the car and Friday night, then without it for her afternoon nap on Saturday. We talked to Papi once again and told him how big we were that we didn't need the chupon anymore, so Papi understood that we didn't need it anymore. She slept without it Saturday night and took a nap in the car without it also on the way back to Peoria. When we got home and she asked for it again, Papi told her that since SHE had told him that SHE didn't need it anymore, he gave them to a baby down the street that needed them. She was cool with that. I am THRILLED to report that tonight Sofia went to bed WITHOUT her chupon. THANK YOU GOD ALMIGHTY!!! This is a HUGE accomplishment. Vince said to me that "Super Nanny" would be proud of me, but I say she would be proud of us. I couldn't have done it without him!
So the girls had a pretty productive weekend, but coming home was sure nice. I feel like it lasted an entire summer. Kudos to my parents for taking care of my grandparents, it's a tough job. Kudos to Sofia for giving up the old chupon. And kudos to Vince for just being an awesome husband and quick thinker- thanks for the backup on that chupon thing and the story about the needy crying baby... priceless!
1 comment:
That's classic!
Post a Comment